This dish from the Basque region of Spain is often prepared using salt cod, instead of fresh cod, which requires more time to soak and prepare. The quick version described below comes together quickly with the help of an immersion blender, and requires a very small number of ingredients.
The recipe below is intended to feed 4 people.
Fresh Cod with Pil Pil Sauce
- 250 grams olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, (left whole)
- 2 dried red chilis
- 4 skin-on cod fillets
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- Juice from 1 wedge of lemon
- Heat the olive oil in a wide pot until the oil reaches roughly 250F.
- Add the whole garlic cloves and dried red chilis.
- Cook until the garlic cloves are lightly golden in color, and remove the garlic and chilis from the oil with a slotted spoon.
- Reserve the garlic and chilis on paper towels for later when you are ready to serve.
- Salt the cod fillets on both sides, and gently poach the cod fillets in the oil.
- When the cod is almost fully cooked through, remove from the oil and reserve on a plate to drain.
- Remove the oil from the heat, and allow it to cool at room temperature.
- When the fish and oil have rested for 20 minutes, pour the dripping from the fish plate into an immersion blender container.
- Add half of the roasted garlic cloves and all of the oil that you used to cook the garlic and the fish.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the mixture until it is thickened and fully emulsified.
- Taste, and season with Kosher salt and lemon juice.
- Serve the cod with the sauce and garnish with the remaining garlic cloves.
- Serve with a side of boiled potatoes.