Disclaimer: These savory kimchi pancakes are not sweet, but they are quite
delicious. The recipe can be made from start to finish in ten minutes, including
cooking time, and it’s a fun way to start the day with some Asian ingredients and
You can also make these pancakes using leftover sourdough starter that you plan to
get rid of, which I do all the time. I’m always looking for ways to use up my
sourdough starter if I’m not baking bread that day!
Savory Kimchi Breakfast Pancakes
For the Pancake Batter:
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tsp sesame seed oil
- 1 whole egg, (whisked)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 scallions, (finely sliced)
- 1 cup prepared Kimchi, (chopped)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, (for pan-frying pancakes)
- Sriracha, (for serving.)
- ¼ cup crème fraiche, ( for serving)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds, (as garnish)
- Whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, Kosher salt, sesame oil, water, egg, vegetable oil, red pepper flakes, sliced scallions, and prepared Kimchi.
- Heat a nonstick saute pan over medium heat, and add a teaspoon or two or vegetable oil.
- When the vegetable oil is hot, add a dollop of your savory kimchi pancake batter.
- Cook the kimchi pancake the same way that you would cook a normal pancake, golden-brown on both sides!
- Serve the pancakes with crème fraiche and sriracha.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds, and serve while still hot.