The transition in seasons from Spring to Summer brings with it a bounty of fresh summer vegetables. These bruschetta bites celebrate whatever fresh vegetables and herbs you can find at your local market that are in season throughout the summer months. Summer pea greens are also included in the mix of toppings here.
If you can’t locate all of the ingredients below, use whatever you have on hand–Get creative with different vegetables, herbs, and flavor profiles!
Summer Vegetable Bruschetta Bites
- 1 loaf of French bread, sliced on an angle in ¼” pieces
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of raw garlic, finely minced
- ½ cucumber, peeled and cut medium diced
- ¼ red bell pepper, medium dice
- ¼ zucchini, medium dice
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in quarters
- ¼ red onion, very finely sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, finely sliced
- ¼ cup of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, finely sliced
- 1 cup fresh summer pea greens
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt & freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Cut the loaf of fresh French bread into ¼” slices.
- *If you cut the baguette into slices on a diagonal bias, the slices will have a larger surface area.
- Place the slices of bread on parchment paper on a sheet tray.
- Drizzle the slices of bread lightly with olive oil
- While the oven heats up, prepare the other Bruschetta components.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mined garlic, diced cucumber, bell pepper, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, red onion, basil, parsley, mint, pea greens, lemon zest, lemon juice, and extra-virgin olive oil.
- Taste, and season with Kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
- Allow the ingredients to marinate while you bake your crostini.
- Place the bread slices you prepared earlier in the preheated oven and bake for 8-12 minutes at 375F, or until the bread is gently toasted.
- When the crostini are toasted to your liking, remove them from the oven.
- Quickly arrange small mounds of the bruschetta topping you mixed up earlier on top of each slice of toasted bread.
- Drizzle the top of the crostini lightly with extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve immediately, while the crostini are still warm.