Pesto pasta with broccoli florets is one of those easy-peasy dishes. It shouldn’t take much more than 20 minutes to prepare.
Don’t feel married to the ingredient list. If you don’t like broccoli, use baby spinach, Brussels sprouts, or cut asparagus.
It’s really important to cook your pasta al dente. It continues cooking after you take it out of the pot. Using fresh broccoli vs. frozen creates a much better mouth feel for this dish.
Serving ideas: Bruschetta, Classic Cesar Salad, Sauteed Zucchini, Marinated Tomato-Cucumber Salad.
- 1 pound uncooked rotini pasta
- 6 cups of broccoli florets
- 6 cloves of garlic minced finely
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (minced)
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- ½ cup Asiago cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- I tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-3 oz sliced black olives
- ¼ tsp onion and garlic powder
- Fresh ground pepper and salt to taste
- Prepare a pot for the pasta
- Get water boiling
- Cook according to the box directions, along with the broccoli
- Strain and move into a serving bowl
- Add the butter and olive oil, giving it a good stir
- Add the garlic, basil, pine nuts, olives, and Asiago, stirring again
- Give the mix one more time before serving
- Note: you can serve this hot if you wish