When you think of potato salad, a creamy mix probably comes to mind. When you’re looking for something different with an exciting lush taste, this Dilly Potato Salad fits the bill. Lemon provides an upbeat zip, making it ideal for warm-weather picnics.
This particular recipe uses oil and vinegar in place of mayonnaise. The result is a lighter fare with all kinds of options to change things up.
Dilly Potato Salad
- 2 pounds of baby potatoes halved
- Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Dill (fresh if possible)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ Red onion diced
- 3 tbsp wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cook the potatoes until they are fork tender.
- Remove them from the stove.
- Transfer into a bowl of ice water to stop cooking.
- Strain off the water.
- Add all the other ingredients and combine well.
- Chill before serving.
This is a very flexible dish, so you can get as “fancy” as you want. Toss in some feta and olives for a Greek flavor profile. Shred some chicken, and stir it into the salad. Savory beef strips work too.
For texture, use cucumbers, chichi beans, and celery. Finally, change the herbs or add to the ones in the recipe, like basil, minced garlic, or oregano.