Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are kissing cousins to kidney, black, and lima beans, all of which are legumes. Records dating back as far as 6000 BEC talk about chickpeas. They are a key component in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine. If you’ve eaten hummus or falafel, you’ve had chickpeas!
The beauty of a savory-sweet chickpea snack is that it’s packed with iron, fiber, and protein. The beans themselves taste slightly nutty and earthy and absorb whatever flavors you throw at them. Plus, you can use the finished product on salads for an interesting change in flavor profiles.
This recipe makes 4, ½ cup servings.
Sweet Savory Chickpeas
- 1-15 oz can chickpeas
- 1 ½ tsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbs honey
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- tsp nutmeg
- tsp chipotle pepper powder
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Pat the beans dry using a paper towel.
- In a bowl, toss the peas with oil.
- Transfer to a parchment-covered baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until crispy. Check them at the 30-minute mark in case your oven runs hot.
- Toss the crispy chickpeas with spices and honey.
- Return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Store in an air-tight container at room temperature.