This roasted garlic mashed potato recipe is a unique twist on a classic American side dish. The roasted garlic adds a deep, rich flavor to the potatoes, while the Parmesan cheese and panko breadcrumbs give the top a nice crunch. These mashed potatoes are creamy, comforting, and delicious, and they pair well with a variety of main dishes.
Basically, if you like roasted garlic, you are going to love this mashed potato recipe. The trick involves cutting the tops off the heads of garlic and drizzling them in olive oil before wrapping them tightly in aluminum foil and roasting them whole for about 45-60 minutes. You can then squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins once they have finished roasting and have cooled down.
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 2-3 whole heads of garlic, unpeeled
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” cubes
- Kosher salt to salt your boiling water
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) of salted butter, cut into cubes
- ¼ cup heavy cream, warmed on the stove
- ½ cup sour cream
- Kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped, as garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Slice the tops off of the heads of garlic to expose the cloves.
- Place each head of garlic on a piece of aluminum foil and drizzle them with a bit of olive oil.
- Wrap the aluminum foil tightly around the garlic to create a little package.
- Place the wrapped garlic heads in the preheated oven and roast for 45-60 minutes, or until the cloves inside are soft, golden brown in color, and very fragrant.
- Remove the roasted garlic from the oven and allow to cool at room temperature while you prepare the mashed potatoes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and cook them for 15-20 minutes, or until they are tender.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins and into the pot with the potatoes.
- Add the butter, heavy cream, and sour cream to the pot.
- Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes until they are smooth and creamy.
- Taste, and season with kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and a pinch of salt.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top of the mashed potatoes.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden and crisp.
- Remove the mashed potatoes from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve the mashed potatoes hot, garnished with additional butter and fresh parsley, if desired. Enjoy!
These mashed potatoes make for amazing leftovers, simply reheat them in the oven with a little bit of added butter.