Onion rings. Talk about versatility. They’re a side dish, an appetizer, game day treats, and a snack all wrapped into one glorious crunch.
But this bacon onion ring recipe bumps up ordinary onion rings with bacon (yum!). This gives the resulting dish a slightly smoky crisp. Add a dipping sauce and viola, you are a hero.
Using your oven, they take about a half hour. You don’t have to deep fry.
Crazy Crispy Bacon Onion Rings
- 1 large yellow onion
- 12 strips smoky bacon standard cut
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups cheese tortilla chips
- Dipping sauce**
- ** Ideas for dipping sauce include:L sour cream and dill, salsa, bloomin’ onion sauce, soy ginger sauce, chinese mustard, whisky barbecue sauce, and lemon-garlic dipping sauce.
- Set your oven to 375F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl. Set aside
- Put the chips into food storage back and zip it up tight
- Use a rolling pin to crush the chips (you want them small)
- Slice the onion into approximately ¾ width.
- Take one slice of bacon and wrap it around the ring
- Repeat with another strip
- This process continues for all of your onion rings.
- Use a pastry brush to cover each ring with an egg.
- Dredge with the tortilla crumbs
- Put the rings on your prepared baking (or cookie) sheet
- Leave a little space between them for even cooking
- Move the baking pan to the lower third of the oven
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Serve with sauce