Chicken soup is one of the ultimate comfort food, being good for whatever ails you. While you can reach for a canned soup, you can make something far more satisfying and flavor-filled yourself. This recipe uses a little lemon for brightness and garlic for a rich taste.
Use a rotisserie chicken from the store instead of baking your own, you save a ton of time. This soup can usually be on the table in under an hour. However, if you can be patient and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight, it gets even better.
What about side dishes? You can serve this with some crusty breadsticks, pretzel rolls, cheese sandwiches, tomato Bruschetta, or vegetable skewers.
Tip: If you cannot find cannellini beans, use great northern or navy beans instead.
Chicken Soup with White Beans
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, (finely diced)
- 2 large carrots, (peeled and diced (used colored carrots for visual impact))
- 2 celery stalks, (finely diced)
- 3 garlic cloves, (minced)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 (14 oz cans) drained cannellini beans
- 3 cups chicken, (shredded)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, (finely chopped (plus extra for garnish))
- 1 bunch baby spinach, (rough chopped)
- 1 lemon, (juiced)
- Dry blend Parmigiano, Roman, Mozzarella & Provolone
- Saute the onions, carrots, celerity, and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Transfer to a large pot.
- Pour the chicken stock into the pot with the sauteed blend and remaining ingredients except for lemon and cheese.
- Bring to a boil for 20 minutes (make sure the beans are cooked).
- Add lemon.
- Pour into bowls topped with grated cheese.