If you are looking for a unique twist on the classic Cosmo cocktail, consider this version that incorporates some freshly-squeezed blueberry juice. Additional whole fresh blueberries are pickled in a sweet & acidic pickling liquid and served on toothpicks with some fresh mint as a garnish.
The recipe below is for two cocktails.
- 2 martini glasses, (chilled in freezer)
- ½ cup fresh blueberries, for juicing, (plus 8 more for pickling later)
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- 3/8 cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 8 whole fresh blueberries, (for pickling)
- 3 oz Absolut Citron vodka
- 1.5 oz Cointreau
- 1.5 oz freshly-squeezed blueberry juice, ( made earlier)
- 1 oz cranberry juice
- Juice from 2 limes
- Ice, to chill drink
- 2 fresh mint leaves, (as garnish skewer component)
- Toothpicks, (for assembling garnish skewers)
- Chill two martini glasses in the freezer.
- Blend ½ cup fresh blueberries in a food processor and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl.
- *If you still have solid particles in your pressed blueberry liquid, clean your strainer and strain the liquid a second or third time.
- Set the blueberry juice aside in the fridge to cool down for the cocktail assembly later.
- Combine the white granulated sugar, white wine vinegar, and water in a small pot on the stove.
- Heat while stirring until the sugar is dissolved, but before the mixture is simmering.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the 8 remaining whole blueberries.
- Allow the whole blueberries to sit in the pickling liquid for roughly 30 minutes.
- When the blueberries have pickled for roughly 30 minutes, assemble the two toothpick skewers with blueberries and the fresh mint leaves and set aside.
- To make the cocktail, combine the Absolut Citron vodka with the Cointreau, freshly-squeezed blueberry juice, cranberry juice, and lime juice.
- Add components to a shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously for 15 seconds to chill all the ingredients.
- Remove martini glasses from the freezer.
- Strain drink into chilled martini glasses.
- Garnish with the pickled blueberry & fresh mint skewers.
- Enjoy cold.
If you prefer a sweeter version of this cocktail, add some additional blueberry juice.