If you love eggnog, there’s no reason to wait for the holidays. Make some yourself whenever you wish. This recipe is creamy, sweet, and flavorful. You can make it with or without alcohol so the kids can enjoy it too. Should you opt for an alcoholic version, whisky, brandy, rum, and bourbon are all excellent choices.
Tip: You can use leftover eggnog to make French toast.
All Season Eggnog
- 6 large eggs, divided
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp real vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cup alcohol (optional)
- Set aside the egg whites for a project like meringue cookies.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar until they’re light and smooth.
- Place the cream, milk, nutmeg, and ginger into a saucepan over medium heat.
- When the cream reaches a scant simmer, begin adding spoonfuls of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly.
- Pour everything back into the saucepan and bring everything to 160F.
- Turn off the heat, then add your vanilla
- Add alcohol if desired
- Pour everything into a pitcher you can cover and put in the refrigerator.
- This thickens as it cools. You can serve this hot or cold with a healthy dose of whipped cream on top.
- You can keep leftover eggnog in the refrigerator for a week.