Once in a while, it is nice to take the time to go all out for breakfast, and make yourself and your family something that you will all be thinking about for the entire day afterwards. These breakfast burritos are packed with bright flavors, fresh vegetables & eggs, bacon & ham, and melty pepperjack cheese.
This recipe is for 8 large burritos, but you can scale it down and make just one or two if you like.
Spicy Breakfast Burritos
- 8 large-sized flour tortillas
- 8 whole eggs
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, (cut into 1/8” slices)
- ½ green bell pepper, (medium dice)
- ½ red bell pepper, (medium dice)
- ½ can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, (blended)
- 2 cups of diced cooked ham
- 2 cups of diced cooked bacon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 3 tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp of cumin
- 1 jalapeno, (seeds included, finely minced)
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups of shredded pepperjack cheese
- 2 whole avocados
- ½ cup of pickled jalapenos
- Your favorite hot sauce
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup hot and spicy salsa of your preference
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup scallions, (finely sliced)
- ½ cup Roma tomatoes, medium dice
- Juice of 1-2 limes
- Preheat oven to 250F.
- Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and close the foil around the tortillas.
- Place the tortillas in the oven to warm while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Crack the whole eggs into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Whisk the eggs until they are light and fluffy.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the vegetable oil, onion, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper, and cook for about 7 minutes, or until the vegetables are partially cooked.
- Add the blended chipotles in adobo, and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked bacon, cooked ham, and the garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne powder, red pepper flakes, cumin, and minced jalapeno.
- Cook the mixture together for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Set the vegetable and meat and spice mixture aside.
- Add the 3 Tbsp butter a large nonstick pan.
- Add the whisked egg mixture to the pan and cook the eggs gently over medium-low heat, until the eggs are just barely cooked through but still somewhat runny.
- Remove the tortillas from the oven, and add some of the meat & vegetable mixture that you cooked earlier into each tortilla.
- Add some of the scrambled eggs into each tortilla.
- Add some of the shredded cheese into tortilla.
- Add some avocado, pickled jalapenos, hot sauce, sour cream, spicy salsa, cilantro, scallions, Roma tomatoes, and freshly-squeezed lime to each tortilla.
- Wrap the burritos, and serve immediately.