After going through numerous recipes for the classic blueberry muffin, what I found missing in many of the recipes was an overabundance of blueberry. The muffins in the recipe contain as much blueberries as flour, and are topped with a buttery and delicious crumb topping. The batter incorporates a combination of vegetable oil and butter, making the end result light, fluffy, and decadent.
Incredible Blueberry Muffins
- 2.5 cups flour ((All-Purpose))
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5 tbsp softened butter
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2.5 cups fresh blueberries
- 4 tbsp softened butter (For Crumb Topping)
- 1/3 cup flour ( (All-Purpose))
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 385F.
- Combine and mix together your flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, add your buttermilk, softened butter, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Taking care to not overmix the batter, incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, using as little mixing as possible.
- It is normal if there are some small lumps in your batter at this stage.
- Carefully incorporate your blueberries into the batter.
- Mixing as little as possible to get an even distribution of blueberries throughout the batter.
- Make your crump topping by quickly mixing together your softened butter, sugar, flour, and cinnamon with a fork in a small bowl until mixed through.
- Scoop batter into well-greased muffin tins, or use paper muffin tray linings if you have them.
- Top each muffin with a spoonful of the crumb topping.
- Bake at 385F for 5 minutes, then lower the heat to 350F and bake for an additional 13-16 minutes.
- You want a golden-brown exterior.
- Remove from the trays to a resting rack as soon as the muffins are cool enough to handle, and allow to cool for an additional 15 minutes.
- These muffins are wonderful when served warm.
Try to avoid eating these if you’re really hungry and alone at home by yourself. The muffins are dangerously good, and difficult to stop eating.