When you’re thinking about an easy Italian-flavored appetizer, tomato-cheese skewers fit the bill. You really can’t go wrong with fresh mozzarella, sweet cherry tomatoes, and refreshing basil leaves. Add to that some balsamic dressing, and the flavors are a perfect summer-time treat.
The tomato cheese skewers aren’t expensive, so you can make them for a larger gathering. They assemble without fuss. The freshness puts your dish above the rest. Better still, they’re good for you being low carb.
If you like Caprese salad, you’ll like this recipe. You can make it a salad without the skewers, but using them saves some mess and creates “finger food.” Total time? Only 20 minutes!
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp fresh lemon zest
- ½ tsp honey (or sugar)
- 1 ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp coarse ground pepper
- 10 oz sweet cherry or grape tomatoes
- 10 ounces mini mozzarella balls
- Heat all the ingredients but for the last three in a saucepan.
- Simmer for 15 minutes (you’re looking for a glaze-like consistency).
- Taste test and adjust for personal preferences.
- Assemble the skewers: tomato at the base, followed by basil, then mozzarella.
- Repeat until you run out.
- Put on a serving tray.
- Drizzle with the balsamic mix.
- Put extra balsamic in a container for people who want extra.