There is a world-famous chef Heston Blumenthal who provides recipe ideas and methods that will change your approach to cooking classic dishes. His approach to “glassy” Sunday roast potatoes with a crispy “shatter” crust are no exception. This recipe uses a similar methodology to Blumenthal’s approach for roasted potatoes, and adds on some classic nacho toppings to create an epic and indulgent appetizer.
Loaded Crispy Potato Nachos
- 32 oz (2 lbs) Russet Potatoes, (peeled and cut into large 1.5” chunks)
- 4 cloves of garlic, ( cloves separated and removed from their skins)
- 5 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp Kosher salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1.25 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ can black beans, ( drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup Roma tomatoes, ( medium dice)
- ½ red onion, ( medium dice)
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, ( finely sliced)
- ¼ cup pickled sliced jalapenos
- Zest of ½ lime
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup hot salsa
- 1 cup guacamole
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, (roughly chopped)
- Peel and cut the Russet potatoes into large 1.5” chunks.
- Remove the skins from the garlic cloves.
- Place the peeled and cut potatoes in a large pot of salted cold water.
- Add the peeled garlic cloves, along with the rosemary and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, and cook until the potatoes are completely tender and almost falling apart
- Drain the potatoes from the water, and allow them to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes while you preheat your oven.
- *You can discard the garlic and rosemary and thyme at this stage
- Preheat a sheet tray in the oven at 390F, with ¼ cup of olive oil in the bottom of the sheet tray, for 15 mins.
- After the oil is hot, add the cooked potatoes from earlier to the sheet tray, and carefully toss the boiled potatoes to coat in the olive oil.
- Roast the potatoes at 390F for roughly 60 minutes, turning the potatoes gently every 15 minutes.
- When the potatoes are crispy and golden-brown on all sides, remove them from the pan using a slotted spoon, and allow the potatoes to drain on paper towels.
- Layer the crispy potatoes in an oven-safe casserole dish with the shredded cheddar cheese and the drained black beans.
- Return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheddar cheese is mostly melted and the beans are warmed through.
- Remove from the oven, and transfer the contents to a serving platter.
- Top with the diced Roma tomatoes, red onion, fresh jalapeno pepper, pickled jalapeno peppers, and the lime zest and lime juice.
- Top with the sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and fresh cilantro, and serve immediately.