You’d be hard-pressed to find people who don’t like mac n cheese in some form. It’s smooth, filling, and textural (especially with buttered breadcrumbs and parmesan on top). However, because you’ll be breading and frying at the end, there won’t be any topping on this batch.
This recipe marries homemade mac n cheese with deep frying. Step one, of course, is making a batch of mac n cheese. For success, avoid pre-shredded cheese. You’re better off shredding it yourself for the best results. Stick to cooking the pasta to the edge of al dente. It helps the recipe hold up (no soggy noodles).
What kind of cheese should you use? Everyone has favorites. Some stay with the tried-n-true Velveeta. Others lean into mozzarella and sharp cheddar, or fontina (which is also a wonderful melty cheese)
Fried mac n cheese
- 8 oz cooked macaroni
- 2 tsp oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 ½ tbsp flour
- ½ cup cream
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup fontina cheese, shredded
- ½ cup smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic & onion powder optional
FRIED MAC N CHEESE INGREDIENTS
- 3 cups of your mac n cheese (cool)
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp minced chives
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Use spray oil to coat a baking dish (a 3-quart size is fine)
- Cook the rotini until it’s nearly al dente. Strain and rinse with cold water (this keeps the macaroni from continuing to cook. You don’t want limp noodles).
- Toss the pasta with olive oil and set aside
- To make your sauce, begin by melting the butter.
- Slowly add the flour over medium heat until it’s golden and bubbly. This is the foundation for your roux.
- Whisk in the milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the cheese, and continue stirring until everything is well-incorporated
- Add your pasta and cook for 30 minutes.
FRIED MAC N CHEESE INSTRUCTIONS
- Heat the fryer to 350F (with the oil inside)
- Take the firm mac n cheese out of the refrigerator
- Using an ice cream or cookie scoop, make equal-sized balls from the mac n cheese 1 ½” sized.
- Whip up the eggs and lay out a plate with the bread crumbs, paprika, and chives mixed together
- Dip them one at a time into the eggs
- Follow by rolling in bread crumbs
- Fry until golden brown (4 minutes)
- Drain on paper towels