Once you make warm, fluffy breadsticks at home, you’ll never reach for them in the supermarket again (unless you’re in a pinch). Breadsticks are an ideal companion for pasta, soup, and salad. You can season them 101 ways. This recipe is a simple garlic blend.
You’ll need about 2 ½ hours for this dish. The good news is that most of that time is allowing your bread to rise.
Bountiful Italian Breadsticks
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp clover honey
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp salted butter, (melted)
- ½ tsp garlic
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- Put the yeast, sugar, and water into a small mixing bowl.
- Stir well. The mixture will start bubbling in a few minutes.
- In a separate mixing bowl, place your flour and salt.
- Add the yeast water to the flour along with the olive oil.
- Mix with a spatula until there are no bits of dry flour
- Knead the dough on a clean, flat surface for about 7 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Return the ball to the mixing bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Leave at room temperature to rise until it doubles in size (about an hour)
- Take out the ball and flatten it into a rectangle measuring 9”x12.”
- Try to keep the thickness of the dough as even as possible
- Use a pizza cutter and divide the dough into 12 equal-sized pieces
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place the sticks about 1-inch apart
- Preheat your oven to 400F
- Cover the baking sheet with plastic wrap
- Allow the dough to rise again for 45 minutes until it’s doubled in size.
- While you wait, you can melt the butter and spices together.
- Brush each breadstick with the butter
- Bake for 15 minutes (they’ll be golden brown). You can cook a little longer for extra crunch.
- Serve warm or cold.